TO MAKE THE TWINE TREES, YOU'LL NEED:
- Lightweight cardboard (a flattened cereal box works well)
- Tape Plastic wrap
- Waxed paper
- Craft glue
- Baker’s twine, lightweight string or embroidery floss
1. Cut a large triangle from cardboard. Bend to form a cone, taping seam closed. Cover cone in plastic wrap using tape to secure.
3. Untape plastic wrap and remove from cone with tree attached. Gently remove plastic wrap from inside of tree.
- Lightweight cardboard box (old cereal, lightbulb, or butter boxes work well)
- Craft knife
- Hot-glue gun
- Corrugated cardboard
- Craft glue
- Acrylic craft paint in white and a color
- Parchment paper
- Fairy lights (optional)
- Glitter, white or clear
- Fiberfill (optional)
- Battery-operated LED bulb (optional)
1. Pull apart glued seams of lightweight box and open it flat. Using template as an example, draw a four-sided house in pencil on unprinted side of cardboard (align corners of house with folds in box). Cut out. Draw door and windows, then cut out using craft knife.
2. Paint unprinted side of cardboard in color of your choosing; let dry. Apply second coat if necessary.
3. On printed side of cardboard, tape parchment over windows and door.
4. Fold house into shape, with painted side facing out. Use hot glue to close seams. Optional: Tape a string of fairy lights along roofline on front of house.
5. Cut corrugated-cardboard roof to fit house, allowing an overhang of ¼" on front and back and ½" on sides. Paint roof white; let dry. Cover roof with a thin coat of craft glue, then sprinkle with glitter; let dry. Score and fold at center. Attach roof with hot glue.
6. Optional: Add a chimney. Roll a piece of printer paper into a cylinder; glue seam. Cut one end on an angle. Glue to roof. Fill opening with fiberfill.
7. Optional: Place house over battery-powered LED bulb.
- Black felt-tip marker
- Orange felt-tip marker (for snowman)
- Cotton swab
- Hot-glue gun
- Acorn cap (for acorn man)
- Wood beads: 1" and ¾" for acorn man; ¾" and ½" for snowman (42 cents for acorn man; 24 cents for snowman;
- Acrylic craft paint: pink and red, green or blue for acorn man; white for snowman (10 cents; at Michaels)
- Red-and-white embroidery floss for snowman
1. For acorn man: Paint larger bead for body. Draw face on smaller bead with black felt-tip marker. Add rosy cheeks by applying pink paint with cotton swab. For snowman: Paint both beads white. Use black marker to draw eyes and mouth on smaller bead and buttons on larger bead. Use orange felt-tip marker to draw nose.
2. Glue body and head together. For acorn man, glue on acorn cap. For snowman, twist red-and-white embroidery floss, then wrap around figure’s neck. Add an acorn cap to snowman if you like.